Sunday, June 27, 2010

Squirrels


How cute are they? And their acrobatics can provide as much entertainment as you have time to watch. But they also like to chew, dig, and climb - none of which I want in my small patio garden. The first time I saw 'Chip' he was adorable, I watched him scamper off to the wooded bit that borders our backyard, and under a rock to what looks like could be his home. So now I know he's local. I'd feed him some sunflower seeds so I could watch the running and jumping - so cute!
Then one day I cam home from work and checked on the tomatoes - there was a pit in the soil. I filled it in.
Next day - another pit - I filled it in.
After a week of this dance I decided enough was enough. Friday I started doing some research and today I put the plan into action.
All it took was:
Hardware cloth (wire screen) 1/4 inch was recommended but we could only find 1/2 inch
Something to cut it with
and mulch.
The total cost for this project was about 20.00$ CAD
I cut the screen to be the size of the top of the pot. it's bendy and holds the shape so anything that was a bit too big was easy to bend into shape. I cut a slit up the middle and with a hole in the end to go around the stalk of the plant. I had boyfriend hold the tomato cage up so I could slide the screen under and around - then we fitted the cage back into place and covered the screen with black cedar mulch.

If this works - I will be thrilled. The hardware cloth we bought came in a roll of 20ft for 10.00$, so it will cover all of the pots the squirrels will dig in, with some left over for next year.
It was inexpensive and relatively easy. If it doesn't work - well at least we didn't invest a fortune.
Now once the tomatoes come to fruit - that will be another challenge. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment