Friday, April 15, 2011

The Garden Planning Begins!

So I did some reading... and this is what I came up with.

Vegetables that grow best in Zone 5/6
kale
lettuce
onions
brussel sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
spinach
broccoli
sweet potato
peas
tomato
eggplant
pepper
winter squash
summer squash
beets
carrots
potato
melons
corn
beans

Vegetables that grow best in Zone 5/6 in containers
lettuce
onions
brussel sprouts
cabbage
spinach
broccoli
tomato
pepper
squash
beets
carrots
beans

From that list, vegetables I want to grow:
lettuce
onions
broccoli
tomato
carrots


From the list I want to grow, how I plan to grow it, the size container I will need, and recommended varieties:

Lettuce:
Transplant
5 Gallon Window box
Buttercrunch,  Little Gem, Bibb

Onions:
Sets
5 Gallon Window Box
White Sweet Spanish, Yellow Sweet Spanish

Broccoli:
Transplant
1 plant, 5 gallon pot
3 plants 15 gallon tub
Pacman

Tomato:
Transplant/Seeds
1 plant, 5 gallon pot
Early Girl, Giant Valentine

Carrots:
Seeds
5 gallon window box, at least 12”deep
Nantes Scarlet


Supplies needed for this garden:
  • 5 Gallon Window Box x3 (1 for lettuce, 1 for onion, 1 for carrot)
  • 15 Gallon tub x3 (1 for 3 broccoli, 1 for big tomato, 1 for small tomato)
  • Tomato cage x2
  • watering can
  • hardware cloth to protect (see last years garden!)
  • vegetable seeds/transplants/sets

Bonus Herbs! :)
If I've got room (it's a small deck) and time I really really want to have a large pot with multiple herbs in it - these are the ones I chose:
Herbs
Oregano
Basil
Thyme


We're making a trip to Halifax Seed tomorrow to see if we can cross any supplies off the list. I think it's going to be a bit too early for the good stuff :) But I'm on vacation until the 25th, so hopefully I'll have something to garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment